Our audio book collection includes both abridged and unabridged:
- Children's picturebooks
- Children’s fiction
- Adult fiction
- Adult non-fiction.
Manukau holds a wide range of fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels and large print by national and international authors comprising popular, award winning and best-selling titles for adults, teens and kids. We also hold a selection of Community Language and Maori collections in most of our branches.
Genres covered in our music CD collection include:
- Pacific Island
- Blues and Jazz
Our DVD collection includes:
- Children’s movies
- Latest movie releases
- Māori documentaries and children’s stories
- Musical artists and concerts
- Pacific Island documentaries and festival highlights
- Television series.
Subtitling options are available on most DVDs in a variety of languages, including English for the Hearing Impaired.
The South Auckland Research Centre holds the most extensive collection available of materials relating to the history and development of South Auckland and the Counties-Manukau area. Holdings include:
- Books, pamphlets theses and reports relating to the history, society and natural environment of the Counties-Manukau area. These items are all listed on the Auckland Libraries catalogue
- Major New Zealand Government publications of historical interest, including the New Zealand Gazette, the Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives, and Journals of the Auckland Provincial Council [Find out more...]
- Videos, compact discs and DVDs about or produced in Manukau (these items are also catalogued)
- An extensive collection of newspapers of local interest. The New Zealand Herald, held on microfilm from 1863 onwards, includes many items of local interest. Other holdings include the South Auckland Courier and successor titles, the Manukau Courier, Eastern Courier, Counties Courier and Papakura Courier, and a wide range of other Counties-Manukau titles [Find out more...]
- A representative selection of newsletters and periodicals published by Counties-Manukau organisations. Holdings are being progressively listed on the Auckland Libraries catalogue
- A collection of items of ephemera produced in Manukau [Find out more...]
- A selection of maps of current and historical interest relating to the region. These items are all listed on the Auckland Libraries catalogue. Some are available online [Find out more...]
- More than 15,000 photographs of Manukau historical interest. Some are available online [Find out more...]
- A number of archives and manuscripts of Manukau significance.
These are mostly reported on the Community Archive website
- A small collection of oral history recordings. Recording equipment is available for loan to Manukau residents and heritage organisations for making recordings relating to the history and development of Manukau City and the region. [Find out more...]
Specialised books in various levels aimed at those learning English as a second language or adult new readers.
Manukau Libraries holds a range of national and international magazine titles, including some in languages other than English, throughout all of our branches. All magazines may be requested from any branch via the catalogue.
We provide magazines for adults, teens and kids that contain general interest stories and, depending on the subject, more specific articles.
With well over 800 individual titles to choose from, knowing where to start can be an adventure. To help you on your way, we have listed some general magazine subjects that may be of interest.
Manukau's newspaper collection includes current local, regional, national and international titles. We also provide a selection of online newspapers, and links to international newspapers and news sources.
For more information about physical copies of newspapers, historical online newspapers or general online newspapers please check our Newspapers page.