A history of Māori migration in Manukau (na kaumatua Maurice Wilson)
Tamaki, or the Auckland isthmus, has been home to Māori since around 850 AD. A second wave of Māori migration occurred around 1350 with the arrival of the Tainui waka on the Manukau Harbour.
Hoturoa was the rangatira and commander of the Tainui waka. As they paddled down the harbour they heard what sounded like people calling out to them. They later discovered that the calls were not human but came from many birds (he manu kau noa iho) - hence Manu-kau.
The emergence of Te Wai-o-Hua
Members of the Tainui waka settled around the isthmus and began to intermarry with the ancestors of Te Wai-o-Hua. It was this intermarriage, and the development of other bonds between the people of the isthmus and the new arrivals, that led to the recognition of Tainui as the waka for the area.
Around 1575, the people of the isthmus became known as Te Wai-o-Hua, after the death of their paramount chief Hua Kaiwaka (the consumer of canoes/the terminator). By that time, settlement had occurred mainly on the eastern shores and land area surrounding the Manukau Harbour in places such as Ihumatao, Māngere, Pukaki, Wiri, Papatoetoe, Manurewa, Otara and Papakura.
The urban migration
The next major migration to Manukau took place in the context of the urban migration of Māori during 1945-1966. Post World War II industrialisation saw the rapid urbanisation of Māori as they moved from the rural homes to the cities in search of work, opportunity and a better standard of living.
While 74 per cent of Māori lived rurally immediately following World War II, by 1966 the figure had changed dramatically with 62 per cent of Māori living in major urban areas. 19 per cent of all Māori at that time lived in the Auckland region. With the creation of suburban Auckland in the 1960s, 43 per cent of all Māori migrants to the Auckland region came to live in Māngere, Otara and Papakura.
Today, Māori represent 15 per cent (47,346 - Census 2006) of the Manukau population, with the highest number of Māori living in Manurewa.
Manukau City Council recognises the significance of the communities of Urban and Taura Here Māori living in the city and is committed to building the relationships with Taura Here groups in relevant ways according to the needs and expectations of both parties.
Tainui has had a constant presence in and around Manukau since 1350. Tainui people within Manukau maintain strong links with other parts of the Tainui waka.
Manukau City is part of Te Kei o Tainui (the stern of the Tainui waka). Manukau City Council recognises the waka Tainui because of the ancient historical links and current day relationships. Manukau City Council liaises closely with Ngāti Paoa, Ngāti Te Ata, Ngai Tai ki Tamaki Tribal Trust, Umupuia Marae, Pukaki Marae, Makaurau Marae, also the Ngāti Whatua ki Orakei Māori Trust Board and the Huakina Development Trust.
Formal relationship agreements have been signed with Ngai Tai Umupuia Te Waka Totara Trust, Ngāti Paoa Whanau Trust Board, Te Aakitai (Pukaki Marae), Te Ahiwaru-Makaurau Marae and Awaroa ki Manukau Inc. representing Ngati Te Ata.
Visit Manukau's Journey.
back to top