Manukau topics: communities.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Papatoetoe: 1920 to 1929

5 July 1921  Sections in the ‘Carruth Estate’ are advertised for sale. The estate between Carruth Road and Wallace Road has been subdivided into 102 sections of between ¼-acre and seven acres in size.
8 August 1922 The Papatoetoe Progressive & Beautifying League is founded.
13 August 1922 Archbishop Averill dedicates the Anglican church of St George the Martyr in Landscape Road.
29 September 1922 The Papatoetoe First World War Memorial gates are unveiled on the Great South Road outside Papatoetoe District School.
Papatoetoe First World War Memorial, 1922.

Papatoetoe First World War Memorial, 1922.

View large image

30 December 1922 Prime Minister William Ferguson Massey lays the foundation stone of the new (third) St Johns Presbyterian Church.
31 August 1923 Sections in the Clendon Park Estate on the southern boundary of Papatoetoe are advertised for sale.
Poster: 'Clendon Park Estate, the Pride of Papatoetoe', 1923.

Poster: 'Clendon Park Estate, the Pride of Papatoetoe', 1923.

View large image

27 July 1924 A block of six shops in St George Street opposite the town hall burns to the ground. This in one of the most destructive fires Papatoetoe ever experiences.
May 1925 A Mr Holditch founds the Universal Motor Coach Service and begins Papatoetoe’s first motorised bus service.
June 1925 The Auckland Electric Power Board begins installing electricity supply lines in Papatoetoe.
31 August 1925 A railway request stop is established at Puhinui.
September 1925 Bishop Liston opens and blesses Papatoetoe’s first Catholic church, the Church of the Holy Cross, near the corner of St George Street and Kolmar Road.
30 October 1926 Papatoetoe’s first-ever resident policeman takes up his duties.
30 May 1927 The Papatoetoe Hockey Club is formed (this is later renamed the Southern Districts Hockey Club.)
12 March 1928 The Papatoetoe sub-branch of the Auckland Plunket Society is established.
11 April 1928 The Papatoetoe Voluntary Fire Brigade is formed.
12 September 1928 The Central Theatre is opened in St George Street. At the time it is regarded as one of Auckland’s finest suburban cinemas.
5 November 1929 William Coutts opens the Waitemata Brewery on the corner of Bairds Road and Great South Road to the north of Papatoetoe. (The following year this becomes the Dominion Brewery.)
14 December 1929 The Wallace Road public park and band rotunda are opened.
14 December 1929 A ceremony is held on the Triangle Reserve to turn on Papatoetoe’s reticulated (piped) water supply. The water comes from a bore on McLaughlin’s Mountain.

 

back to top

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

© Manukau City Council
newzealand.govt.nz - connecting you to New Zealand central & local government services